The Spring- Summer 2020 Collection by Chanel is all about soft neutrals that were inspired by the desert.
I picked up one of the eye shadow quads, the highlighter and one of the nail polishes that I’ll review below.
I am loving the soft natural tones of this collection. These shades are easy to wear and will definitely be staple colors in my collection.
Eclat Du Desert Illuminating Powder– this limited edition highlighter is a mauvey pinky peach, with neutral undertones, that can give a natural soft glow to the skin.
Eclat Du Desert swatch in natural light.
This highlighter is a more powdery formula than most Chanel highlighters I have. Even swatching it kicked up some powder in the pan.
The powdery–ness doesn’t affect how it looks on the skin though, which is very smooth and blends well into the skin. Just tap off your brush a little before applying.
Here I’ve compared Eclat Du Desert to Eclat Magnetique.
You can see from the swatches that They aren’t very similar on me and Eclat Magnetique is more metallic. In person, Eclat Du Desert is a little more pink than this swatch shows.
Eye Shadow Quad in Elemental– this eye quad contains a shimmery mauvey sand, a light matte pink, a shimmery neutral brown, and a matte neutral peachy tan.
These shades are so buttery and smooth and blend like a dream on the eyes. This color selection is so perfect for lighter skin tones that have a hard time finding light neutrals that don’t turn orange once applied. The shades in this quad are everything I wanted the original Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk palette to be. Elemental remains pinky and flattering on me whereas Pillow Talk turned to an unflattering, too-warm orange on my eyelids. I’ll compare the two below.
Swatches of the Elemental Quad in natural daylight at slightly different angles.
Here I have compared the Chanel Elemental quad with the Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Quad (left) and the Charlotte Tilbury Exaggereyes Quad (right).
Looking at them beside each other they don’t seem as similar as I was thinking they might be, but I think the vibe is similar. I can’t think of anything else in my collection that compares to the Elemental quad.
Swatches of Elemental (top) and Pillow Talk quads.
Swatches of Elemental (top) and Exaggereyes.
I actually really prefer the Elemental quad over both of the Charlotte Tilbury quads because I like that it has the darker shade to create more depth and it is more neutral toned.
Nail Polish in Daydream– a neutral pink shade in a cream finish. I love colors like this that are light, classic, and compliment my skin tone. I’ll update this post with swatches once I paint my nails with this color.
Other items in this collection that I did not purchase include:
- Eye Shadow Quad in Warm Memories– I didn’t pick this up because I felt like it would be too warm and too red on my skin tone. Eye colors that are too pink or red can make me look very ill so I passed on this one. If I see it in person and change my mind I might pick it up then, but I doubt it will be flattering on me.
- Ombré Premiere Laque Longwear Liquid Eye Shadows- 5 shades in Rising Sun, Rayon, Quartz Rose, Desert Wind, and Vastness. I didn’t pick any of these up yet because I don’t usually like liquid shadows in general. I do like the Quartz Rose shade and want to test these in person at some point.
- Rouge Allure Velvet Extreme Lipstick in Endless and Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lipstick in Rouge Brulant– these are such pretty colors and I love the Luminous Intense formula, but I have enough medium pinks for now and picked up some of the other lipsticks Chanel just released ( review of those is coming in a future post) so I skipped these.
- Baume Essentiel Glow Stick In Golden Light– this is a new shade that looks like a golden bronze. This would be too dark for a highlight on me so I skipped it. I think it’s so pretty and will look gorgeous on medium and dark complexions.
- Stylo Ombré et Contour eye liners in Contour Brun and Contour Mauve– these look so pretty and I might pick up the brown one when I use up my current brown eye liner.
- Le Vernis Nail Color In Mirage– this color looks so pretty. I might pick this up if it sticks around for a while but I have tons of nail polish so only grabbed the one that I would use most.
I’m very happy with the three items I purchased from this collection and can see myself getting a lot of use out of them. I really love neutral shades for most of my makeup looks and am happy to see some neutral to cool options for those of us that can’t wear all the warm colors that continue to be released.
The Chanel Spring Summer 2020 Collection is available now on Chanel.com and will be coming to stores and counters soon.